The Wanders family has lived for centuries at the foot of the Elten hill and has since 1637 officially been registered as residents of Elten. The name Wanders means "emigrated". Theodore Wanders came from Aerdt, Henricus Wanders from Grieth or Griethausen. We do not know what motivated them to settle in Elten. The large number of offspring suggests that they may have fallen for the charm of Elten’s women.
Soon Theodore practiced agriculture and grain trade along the former Hanseatic cities and trade routes. Later the gastronomy and accommodation possibilities for traders and other travelers were added to his professional activities. Over the centuries the Lower Rhine attracted many migrants from Europe and all the while the family Wanders has welcomed them and other travelers.
The hotel Wanders is one of the oldest gastronomic family businesses on the Lower Rhine. How it used to look may be seen from a sketch from 1662 by one of Rembrandt's pupils, Lambert Doomer. The sketch can only be seen in two places in the world, the original in the Louvre in Paris and as a replica on the tiles of the fireplace of our hotel. In 1798 the company expanded into the building as it stands today, now in its seventh generation. The historic Hotel-Restaurant Wanders is located at the Market Square in the heart of Elten and has been there for centuries witnessing the most important events and happenings in the border village, which once had city rights.
In the 60s the former cow -and horse stables were transformed into a dance hall and the threshing floor was used to make way for rooms. The property, which is a listed historic building, was renovated the last time in 1994 and great attention was paid to all historical details. For years, members of the family Wanders have toured interested visitors around the premises themselves and today this done by Bettina and Theodor Wanders.